Artist Statement
It's difficult to state whether I'm an artist or not. Do I make films & share them to the public? Yes. Do I play a musical instrument and let others listen to them? Yes. I'ts like having someone's say that "I'm a filmmaker". First, it has an egoistic or pretentious connotations to it. And second, are they only saying that because they're a film major and have made 2 films in their life?! I complain to may friend once because I hate when a person comes into a group and act like they've been to Cannes Film Festival or land an internship at Netflix, and I just say "it's so pretentious that they do that." Then my friend says that studying in film, media or other art form are a pretentious major, and my mine just blows up. It is true because anyone can say those things and act like they own it. But unlike doctors or engineers where they need a certificate or experience to own that title. I will say this, in some way, I am a filmmaker because I can pull out my phone and start shooting. In other way, do I understand enough technical details that helps to make a film? There are still so many skills I need & want to learn from the world of filmmaking. It's rigid, raw, and at times can be beautiful that people enjoys watching them. Therefore, my name is Wim Sadmojo, I'm a film major, and here's my statement.
It's hard to respond "where do you grow up?". Because I was born in Paris, France (I speak zero French). I move to Indonesia in 2000 when I'm around two years old which is where I'm from. I move to New York City in 2007. When back to Jakarta, Indonesia in 2010. Move to Bogota, Colombia in 2012. Move again straight to New York City in 2017 and here I am publishing this blog. Between then & there I've traveled to other countries as well. This is the perks of being a diplomat child and I'm always grateful for what my parents have done for me. I pretty much grew up everywhere then. A nomad perhaps. Is it difficult to adjust to new environments? Always! But you'll get used to it.
The realization of how I want to study film was when I was making a 30 page thesis paper for my final high school project. I initially poses the question of "Why has The Beatles music became so universal that everyone knows them?" Great question and it's a reality. But along the way I lost my interest and couldn't find any answer. Then I asked my adviser "can I change my topic?" and he responded "if you want to change it, do it now. Just make sure it's something that you like." I decided to change my topic to superhero, a subject I dearly love and I poses the question "Why has the popularity of the superhero industry evolved so much to the point that it became a multi-billion dollar industry?" I present the project to two judge and got 9/10 and 9.8/10. At that moment I realize perhaps if I do something that I love or enjoy then I'll get the payoff that I deserve. Then I decided to study film because I love watching movies. The more I grow up, the more film genres I'm interested in. However, it wasn't a straight yes from my family.
When I decided I wanted to study film in front of my family, my brother said "do you even know what film is?" First, art is subjective. Second, that question crushes my world entirely and my parents supported what my brother said. I choose to study Communication Study instead (just to pleased them) at BMCC. The more semester I take, the more classes I take that involves media (to shifts towards film world). At the end of my two year semester at BMCC I get the chance to make my first film which was a documentary, and I loved it! Pre-production was one month & a half, production was a month, and editing was two days. I was editing for six hours straight, in two days for a five minutes footage. But it was worth it. As much as I enjoy being on set and surrounded by everyone's energy, I love video editing more. Yes it can take so much time of your day, but I'm constantly discovering something new within Premiere Pro itself. With various methods on how to edit videos, it ended up being on how we want to put it together and how we want to show the audience our vision of the story. I love video editing because we can stretch time, squeeze them, and feels as though we have the final say of what the entire film is going to look like. Therefore, I want to explore & learn the magic of filmmaking through video editing.
To end this blog, I like to state that none of my film could work without a good collaboration. And I'm grateful to say that so far I have collaborated with amazing people or I should say artist, and I could not have done it without them. If you want to know more about me other this blog, this is my Portfolio and my YouTube Channel which I'll be posting new bass cover music every Friday, and thank you for reading to end of this sentence!
It's hard to respond "where do you grow up?". Because I was born in Paris, France (I speak zero French). I move to Indonesia in 2000 when I'm around two years old which is where I'm from. I move to New York City in 2007. When back to Jakarta, Indonesia in 2010. Move to Bogota, Colombia in 2012. Move again straight to New York City in 2017 and here I am publishing this blog. Between then & there I've traveled to other countries as well. This is the perks of being a diplomat child and I'm always grateful for what my parents have done for me. I pretty much grew up everywhere then. A nomad perhaps. Is it difficult to adjust to new environments? Always! But you'll get used to it.
The realization of how I want to study film was when I was making a 30 page thesis paper for my final high school project. I initially poses the question of "Why has The Beatles music became so universal that everyone knows them?" Great question and it's a reality. But along the way I lost my interest and couldn't find any answer. Then I asked my adviser "can I change my topic?" and he responded "if you want to change it, do it now. Just make sure it's something that you like." I decided to change my topic to superhero, a subject I dearly love and I poses the question "Why has the popularity of the superhero industry evolved so much to the point that it became a multi-billion dollar industry?" I present the project to two judge and got 9/10 and 9.8/10. At that moment I realize perhaps if I do something that I love or enjoy then I'll get the payoff that I deserve. Then I decided to study film because I love watching movies. The more I grow up, the more film genres I'm interested in. However, it wasn't a straight yes from my family.
When I decided I wanted to study film in front of my family, my brother said "do you even know what film is?" First, art is subjective. Second, that question crushes my world entirely and my parents supported what my brother said. I choose to study Communication Study instead (just to pleased them) at BMCC. The more semester I take, the more classes I take that involves media (to shifts towards film world). At the end of my two year semester at BMCC I get the chance to make my first film which was a documentary, and I loved it! Pre-production was one month & a half, production was a month, and editing was two days. I was editing for six hours straight, in two days for a five minutes footage. But it was worth it. As much as I enjoy being on set and surrounded by everyone's energy, I love video editing more. Yes it can take so much time of your day, but I'm constantly discovering something new within Premiere Pro itself. With various methods on how to edit videos, it ended up being on how we want to put it together and how we want to show the audience our vision of the story. I love video editing because we can stretch time, squeeze them, and feels as though we have the final say of what the entire film is going to look like. Therefore, I want to explore & learn the magic of filmmaking through video editing.
To end this blog, I like to state that none of my film could work without a good collaboration. And I'm grateful to say that so far I have collaborated with amazing people or I should say artist, and I could not have done it without them. If you want to know more about me other this blog, this is my Portfolio and my YouTube Channel which I'll be posting new bass cover music every Friday, and thank you for reading to end of this sentence!
Comments
Post a Comment